General Discussion

New release date?

krzysztof

3 hours ago, krzysztof said:

So we have already passed the Christmas date of 24th December, is there a confirmed new date or any ideas?ย 

Sadly no but honestly this isnt such a bad thing, it means they are changing the game to something we will actually play.

Nothing yet, the 24th was never confirmed, just a rough estimate that they gave to Steam. Game balance in the last beta was far from perfect, I bet they're taking the necessary time to focus on that, while other devs work on other things. Better to have a polished game than for it to release sloppily. I personally would be very disappointed if they released the game in even a similar state to how it was in the previous beta, it can be so, so much better with minimal work.ย ย 

• Like 1

Also, forgot to mention, I'd imagine we'll see a third beta some time in January, if I had to guess, I'd say it'll probably be announced around Jan ~10, playable on the 18th. We'll see though, it can't be too far out considering it's been a month since we last played, and they had planned to originally release at about this time previously.

12 hours ago, Volt said:

Also, forgot to mention, I'd imagine we'll see a third beta some time in January, if I had to guess, I'd say it'll probably be announced around Jan ~10, playable on the 18th. We'll see though, it can't be too far out considering it's been a month since we last played, and they had planned to originally release at about this time previously.

They probably wont give us a concrete date before the third beta ends.

1 hour ago, desafinado56 said:

They probably wont give us a concrete date before the third beta ends.

That's what I meant, sorry if that was unclear. Those are the rough estimate for dates that I expect the third beta to be playable. Full game release I'd imagine mid February at the earliest, late March at the latest.

5 hours ago, Volt said:

That's what I meant, sorry if that was unclear. Those are the rough estimate for dates that I expect the third beta to be playable. Full game release I'd imagine mid February at the earliest, late March at the latest.

If the beta goes well which i hope. Lets just see if they take this in a completly different direction.

4 hours ago, desafinado56 said:

If the beta goes well which i hope. Lets just see if they take this in a completly different direction.

I know I've said it a million times but it really isn't that hard to balance the weapons, which in my opinion was the biggest issue by far. I hope they take up a different balancing philosophy, I honestly don't like it as is. I've always wanted a reason to use every variant of weapon on a variety of upgrades, but I can't ever see myself wanting to use an auto-shotgun. Weapons should be skillful and rewarding, as they are right now, many weapon categories aren't made that way.

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, Volt said:

I know I've said it a million times but it really isn't that hard to balance the weapons, which in my opinion was the biggest issue by far. I hope they take up a different balancing philosophy, I honestly don't like it as is. I've always wanted a reason to use every variant of weapon on a variety of upgrades, but I can't ever see myself wanting to use an auto-shotgun. Weapons should be skillful and rewarding, as they are right now, many weapon categories aren't made that way.

Yes thats what made the game fun to play, its built on chaos and accuracy because if you want to do any meaningful ammount of damage youll have to hit people square on, this is why i believe weapons that dont require swapping shouldnt be in most game modes, its a core part of the game they should teach newer players about instead of giving them options to not have to. Plus if you play mostly tdm youre not missing out on much with auto shottys they were annoying at best, they shined in zombies because they are always in your face and having extra shots meant keeping them back for longer, so nerfing it outright wasnt the best move.

21 hours ago, desafinado56 said:

Yes thats what made the game fun to play, its built on chaos and accuracy because if you want to do any meaningful ammount of damage youll have to hit people square on, this is why i believe weapons that dont require swapping shouldnt be in most game modes, its a core part of the game they should teach newer players about instead of giving them options to not have to. Plus if you play mostly tdm youre not missing out on much with auto shottys they were annoying at best, they shined in zombies because they are always in your face and having extra shots meant keeping them back for longer, so nerfing it outright wasnt the best move.

I feel like the weapon switching was one of the most annoying parts of the game I'm totally for alternatives that counter it. I know it's a ''core mechanic'' but if you know the game chivalry 1 it's just like dragging there, it's so annoying and painful to master

• Confused 1
1 hour ago, krzysztof said:

I feel like the weapon switching was one of the most annoying parts of the game I'm totally for alternatives that counter it. I know it's a ''core mechanic'' but if you know the game chivalry 1 it's just like dragging there, it's so annoying and painful to master

All you have to do is hit Q twice.

Edited by desafinado56
  • Like 1
On 12/28/2022 at 9:58 PM, desafinado56 said:

All you have to do is hit Q twice.

Yeah and that's annoying? I don't want to play a game where half of the time I spam a key, no other game has this to this extend. It's just confusing to all the new players

• Confused 1

Its really not that confusing man why do you make a big fuss out of this, this mechanic is essential for the game it makes the game feel unique.

So please stop all they need to do is make a f ing better tutorial for the game with much more things not just the first tutorial after you enter ur nickname.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, krzysztof said:

Yeah and that's annoying? I don't want to play a game where half of the time I spam a key, no other game has this to this extend. It's just confusing to all the new players

Its also annoying how you ahve to crouch down to be more accurate in coutner strike, maybe they should make every weapon a laser.

• Like 1

Nope that's a simple technique you learn fast and is not spamable, weapon switching destroys the whole game by making the whole map into a spamable rocket/grenade mess.

I understand how from your point of view it seems completely normal and fine, but you need to look at it from the perspective of a new player/beginner. It's just too tedious and not fun, even Csgo removed the switching Awpย 

• Confused 1
On 12/31/2022 at 5:32 PM, OGSapphire said:

So please stop all they need to do is make a f ing better tutorial for the game with much more things not just the first tutorial after you enter ur nickname.

ย 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bro we were all new players at one point. I remember not knowing how to play and wondering how everyone else was switching weapons so fast and insta-killing me too LOL I loved the game so much that I went to research and practice to g3t g00d. MicroVolts is unique in that way and they don't need to change that aspect. I agree with maybe including a better tutorial because that's pretty much the proper way to play rofl but like If you don't like it, or if its too hard just go back to CSGO or CoD. Every shooter does not have to be the same breh. I love the game just the way it is, spamming rockets, 'nades and all lol

4 hours ago, krzysztof said:

Nope that's a simple technique you learn fast and is not spamable, weapon switching destroys the whole game by making the whole map into a spamable rocket/grenade mess.

I understand how from your point of view it seems completely normal and fine, but you need to look at it from the perspective of a new player/beginner. It's just too tedious and not fun, even Csgo removed the switching Awpย 

No good player uses rocket/grenade spam. This game is an aim-focused game, if you don't recognize that, you don't understand the game enough yet, keep grinding.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, Volt said:

No good player uses rocket/grenade spam. This game is an aim-focused game, if you don't recognize that, you don't understand the game enough yet, keep grinding.

I actually have to agree with krzy, fortnite had a swap mechanic and it ruined the game for casuals so they had to remove it (you used to be able to swap shotguns to avoid the cooldown much like MV). Swapping in MV is a unique and skill based mechanic sure, but only old players and veterans are going to enjoy playing the game with it. It's a fun, but niche mechanic that can make or break game balance (also makes it alot harder to rebalance weapons around it). I feel adding a swap mechanic tutorial (which is already hard enough to master) in the base game is just going to alienate players since not everyone is looking for a super tryhardy experience, in that case why play microvolts when you could just play fortnite for example and have the option to play casually or sweaty. I'm sure my opnion is going to flare many buttholes, but relax cuz I'm not a dev I'm just saying it how I see it. Most games that had swap mechanics removed them because it just makes the skill gap way too high so people either give up, or stay and make the game even harder for new players.ย ย 

ย 

As is, MV is a double edged sword and making everyone enjoy the game might be physically impossible if I can be 100% honest.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I actually have to agree with krzy, fortnite had a swap mechanic and it ruined the game for casuals so they had to remove it (you used to be able to swap shotguns to avoid the cooldown much like MV). Swapping in MV is a unique and skill based mechanic sure, but only old players and veterans are going to enjoy playing the game with it. It's a fun, but niche mechanic that can make or break game balance (also makes it alot harder to rebalance weapons around it). I feel adding a swap mechanic tutorial (which is already hard enough to master) in the base game is just going to alienate players since not everyone is looking for a super tryhardy experience, in that case why play microvolts when you could just play fortnite for example and have the option to play casually or sweaty. I'm sure my opnion is going to flare many buttholes, but relax cuz I'm not a dev I'm just saying it how I see it. Most games that had swap mechanics removed them because it just makes the skill gap way too high so people either give up, or stay and make the game even harder for new players.ย ย 

ย 

As is, MV is a double edged sword and making everyone enjoy the game might be physically impossible if I can be 100% honest.

I feel like my veins are gonna pop out of my head with everyone crying to remove a mechanic just because other games did... This is not fortnite in the first place, MV was based on the swapping technique/mechanic if you remove it now there wont be any players on MVR and go back to THO or play other games.. Yea its hard to master but thats kinda the fun for me because if new players come and the swapping mechanic is removed then it would be to easy for newer players to play and be a god at it and not be skilled based(because all you would need is good aim T-T)... Look at csgo for example with the recoil patterns, learning the map, grenades and so on, Fortnite aswell has some mechanics that are there for a reason aswell, if u remove the swapping mechanic the game will feel like any other game if i can say so myself. Its something that needs to be learned and not be avoided just because you dont like it.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Tanooki said:

ย 

I can totally see where you're coming from, the reason why I prefer the swapping mechanic is because it's what makes the game unique and interesting, if swapping wasn't in the game, it would feel incredibly sluggish and boring in my opinion. Imagine just walking around jumping with a single gun out until someone dies, mastering all the weapons had really only ever been done by a handful of people, but to me that made it incredibly fun and exciting because I knew there was always room for improvement. From MVS to these betas I've realized I've improved so much, which I was starting to think wasn't very possible back then. The mechanic creates a very high skill ceiling, mastering 7 different weapons is crazy, swapping between them can be hard for some people, but without it I think it would suffer.ย 

I've competitively played the majority of "shooter" games out right now, I was a "pro" Fortnite player, Global Elite in CS, I didn't enjoy Valorant but I was good at it (thanks to CS), Masters in OW on all roles, and the reason I didn't like Valorant is because it didn't feel unique. I realize as I type this that it sounds as if I'm just attempting to brag, but I want to attempt to have some credibility here. Valorant is a very similar game to CS in it's core, the only competitive game mode is nearly identical, and I think the game itself has no "soul" personally. Fortnite, CSGO, and OW all have their innate uniqueness that is very much original and you really can get quite attached to it. MV has the soul, unique gameplay, interesting theme, but if you remove the "uniqueness" of the gameplay, it becomes just like any other third person shooter in my opinion. Swapping makes other weapons usable, imagine not being able to swap with a bazooka/grenade launcher, shooting one slow rocket/grenade every 1.5 seconds would put me, and many other players to sleep. Also, the entire game is balanced around swapping for the most part, I'd be open to seeing how they could somehow make swapping less powerful or "meta", like the auto-shotgun concept, but I really don't want to see them attempt to rebalance the entire game on a new philosophical foundation.

Just wanted to expand upon my thoughts, really appreciate hearing other people's opinions on the topic, because I entirely understand that balancing this game (especially around swapping) can split the community and make it impossible for everyone to enjoy it. Some of my friends that I introduced to this game couldn't keep up with the swapping, but the ones that could absolutely loved the game. I think the tradeoff can be worth it from a business perspective.ย 

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, Volt said:

I can totally see where you're coming from, the reason why I prefer the swapping mechanic is because it's what makes the game unique and interesting, if swapping wasn't in the game, it would feel incredibly sluggish and boring in my opinion. Imagine just walking around jumping with a single gun out until someone dies, mastering all the weapons had really only ever been done by a handful of people, but to me that made it incredibly fun and exciting because I knew there was always room for improvement. From MVS to these betas I've realized I've improved so much, which I was starting to think wasn't very possible back then. The mechanic creates a very high skill ceiling, mastering 7 different weapons is crazy, swapping between them can be hard for some people, but without it I think it would suffer.ย 

I've competitively played the majority of "shooter" games out right now, I was a "pro" Fortnite player, Global Elite in CS, I didn't enjoy Valorant but I was good at it (thanks to CS), Masters in OW on all roles, and the reason I didn't like Valorant is because it didn't feel unique. I realize as I type this that it sounds as if I'm just attempting to brag, but I want to attempt to have some credibility here. Valorant is a very similar game to CS in it's core, the only competitive game mode is nearly identical, and I think the game itself has no "soul" personally. Fortnite, CSGO, and OW all have their innate uniqueness that is very much original and you really can get quite attached to it. MV has the soul, unique gameplay, interesting theme, but if you remove the "uniqueness" of the gameplay, it becomes just like any other third person shooter in my opinion. Swapping makes other weapons usable, imagine not being able to swap with a bazooka/grenade launcher, shooting one slow rocket/grenade every 1.5 seconds would put me, and many other players to sleep. Also, the entire game is balanced around swapping for the most part, I'd be open to seeing how they could somehow make swapping less powerful or "meta", like the auto-shotgun concept, but I really don't want to see them attempt to rebalance the entire game on a new philosophical foundation.

Just wanted to expand upon my thoughts, really appreciate hearing other people's opinions on the topic, because I entirely understand that balancing this game (especially around swapping) can split the community and make it impossible for everyone to enjoy it. Some of my friends that I introduced to this game couldn't keep up with the swapping, but the ones that could absolutely loved the game. I think the tradeoff can be worth it from a business perspective.ย 

I appreciate the respectful and well written reply, thank you.

• Like 1

The swapping mechanic makes you look cool while killing stuff. And i'm a cool guy. Also it reminds me of Gunz, there are not many games who use this mechanic, as far as i am aware. This game has done a great job on that. All i want is me and my friend enjoying a good game, while i get killed by someone who swapped their weapons in mid air, am i mad about that ? no. Did he looked good while doing it ? yes. Will you get kicked out of the room if you are too good at the game? also an yes. Am i going to order asian food tonight? maybe. The point is, i like italian food more.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4