General Discussion

A better votekick system based on other games

MicroData

It seems like we still have the same votekick problems that have existed in all versions of Microvolts.

People abuse it to kick players for being good at the game, or just to be toxic.

Everyone knows how it is.

There's multiple problems at play here and multiple things that can be done to improve it.

I'm just going to post solutions that have existed in another game for almost two decades: Team Fortress 2

1. Only allow us to votekick members of our own team, in team modes. This will remove "rage kicking" your enemies.

2. Make a better autobalance system. The current one does nothing, resulting in all of the high level players on one team vs a bunch of noobs. High level players can also just switch teams in the middle of the game whenever they want, making the problem worse.

- Autobalance needs to equally distribute players as best as possible so the good players end up on opposing teams, and not on a stacked team.

- Team switching needs to be blocked because otherwise it'd defeat the purpose of autobalance... like it already does now.

3. Allow the host to set a "Required Level Range". So if I set my room to only allow level 20-35 players, then nobody outside that level range can join the lobby. If lower level players intentionally prevent veterans from joining, then there will be no reason to kick them.

4. Alternatively, bring back Microvolt Surge's "level 10-20-30" only servers some day. Back then it was level 10-30 because those still took a while. But it would have to be scaled different because of how fast we level up in this version of Microvolts.

----

Now obviously there's some potholes in some of these solutions, but holes in one tend to be covered by the other solutions.

The first two are tried and true, because it's what TF2 do.

At the end of the day the only pothole will be whether or not the devs can implement things like this!

----

I also want to take a moment to mention something we SHOULDN'T bring back, because it will NOT solve anything:

- Making votekicks cost some MP.

We already did this in Microvolts Surge. It was pointless and it did nothing. Either you punish players for using a basic feature they should just have, or we were a veteran player with so many hundreds of thousands of MP, that the penalty didn't matter to us at all.

Edited by MicroData