General Discussion

Honesty

iHawks

On 12/18/2022 at 4:20 PM, iHawks said:

The game is built on an engine called "Gamebryo". Yeah I hadn't heard of it either until just now. For context, go look at their website. I'm no developer so I don't really know jack about shit, but from the looks of it, it's no Unreal Engine 5.

The shaders don't even compare to the graphics you'd find in a free indie game for mobile and I do not think they're going to get better any time soon.

GRAPHICS

Completely re-design the shaders to match today's standard.

Yes, Minecraft was also released in 2009 and still looks the same, but you're not Minecraft.

MicroVolts uses Gamebryo 2.6. You're right it's not Unreal Engine at all. It doesn't need to be. The Korean devs did a really good job with the resources they had, and made the smart decision to do baked lighting, which is why the maps look really decent despite their old age and the mediocre lighting the engine actually provides. Also Unreal Engine does not run well on all computers. I tried Fortnite when it came out, at that point my pc was 2 years old and the game was still laggy. Now my pc is 7 years old, and MVR runs well, optimized mv clients run even better. Swithing engine is a waste of time.

The game really doesn't need new shaders or a new look. Comparing MV to Minecraft is weird, cause it's completely different. MicroVolts has decent visuals, even for today's standards. How it looks now is part of the charm, they tried porting the game to Unreal Engine, and know what? It looked terrible and bland. The graphics are hardly an issue at all.  

INNOVATION

Do something really unique! Right now the "metaverse" is something that is slowly boiling behind the scenes and in a few years it will be mainstream.

If MicroVolts was able to tap into Web3 and utilize NFT's, it would be FUCKING HUGE.

Right now, a bunch of studios are making their own "metaverses" and are working HARD to attract a player base. MV already has that player base and all it would need to do is to utilize Web3.

MV is a niche game, it will never be huge, and NFTs wouldn't change that. Imo NFTs would make the game less attractive and it just doesn't make sense for the game. 

Don't think I could put it any better than what Nipyoo said vvv

On 12/19/2022 at 8:30 AM, Nipyoo said:

A lot of people in this community have a misconception about Masangsoft. Masangsoft primarily purchases online games to maintain them, not to greatly develop them. They basically prevent them from dying and run them as a legacy service. It was also stated multiple times by Leo that they want to use a self-sustaining concept which provides them with income even without having to continuously add new content.

Also the previous developer NQ Games was backed by a big telecommunication company which provided them tons of sweet $$$ to develop MV. I highly doubt that it was ever profitable for them. In Korea, the game is mocked as Kimchi Fortress 2 and was a huge flop. The only reason why it survived in Europe is because it could run on every potato machine and had a hand full of players from every country creating a somewhat stable playerbase.

Let's not trick ourselves into believing that MV will become some sort of Fortnite 2.0 or will become popular in any other way.

On 12/20/2022 at 9:52 AM, OGSapphire said:

Did you use gamebryo to use the map and if so what version did you use? im actually interested @ miwafoxl

Any version of Gamebryo, 2.6 or higher should be able to open the .nif, .kf and .kfm files but he probably used Nifskope, which is better in most aspects.