General Discussion

Run Speed - Melee and Set Synergy

FabriXor87

I did some test on the Run speed, below you can find my fniddings.

(posting as comments because i'ts not allowing me to upload the whole thing in one thread)

The test I've been doing are in Toy Garden 2, running from one side of the map to the other, I've got a setup that allows me to reliably take the same route, which means the times are reliable.

Investigation n1 - Melee's RS

In the video below I'm comparing 4 melees

• Type A upgraded in Run Speed → 580
  • Type C upgraded in Power → 530
  • Type C without upgrades → 520
  • Basic Melee → 500? or even slower (the stats in the inventory report "550" but that is clearly wrong)

StatsBasic.png.d5967a1500215c4d20f606145b390f5b.png

• Like 2

[VIDEO 1]

The ends times respectivly are:

• A Speed → 21:00
  • C power → 22:57 (1:57 slower then A in RS)
  • C default → 23:23 (2:23 slower then A in RS)
  • Basic → 24:21 (4:21 slower then A in RS)

By glancing at the timelines of the videos we can visually see these differences, but let's do some maths

In this case CTB comes in handy, it always tells you the distance you are from the battery base/spawn location
Luckly Toy Garden 2 has a CTB map, and it looks like the distance between the first and start location run in the video is ~120m. Of course it's a "Figure meter", the whole game is probably just using real world scales, but the assets in the maps are huge to make it look like you are a tiny toy.
Know let's look at the Melee RS stats, they are all around the 500 mark, for argument's sake let's assume that that stat is actually the cm/s your character is running.

So, nowe we actually cross check the "120m" distance, we know with the melee Type A in RS it takes 21s to go from point A to point B and if we assume that the "580 RS" is actually 580cm/s then the character runs 5.8m/s. If we look at our old highscool notes we learn that speed is calculated by distance/time, which means distance can be calculated by multiplying speed with time.
Let's do it with all the video's I've captured to get a more accurate result

5.8m/s x 21:00s = 121.8m
5.3m/s x 22:57s = 119.621m
5.2m/s x 23:23s = 120.796

We could try and get more data to have a more accurate result, but I'm happy with 120m

So now to calculate the Base Default melee

120m / 24:21s = 4.956m/s
4.956m/s → 495cm/s

RS of 495 is a weird value to work with as the default, because we are only working with approximations and my recordings might not be perfect to the onehundred of a second it's a safe bet to assume RS is actually 500

Something else I've tested but I don't have the recording exported, is the RS while holding a weapon
It takes the same amount of time to run from point A to B holding a weapon compared to using the melee Basic Default. Which means the default RS of the weapons is also 500cm/s, which is basically the default Max Run Speed of the Character

Investigation n2 - Set RS synergy

I've always wondered if the +% RS given by the set only affects the default character's speed or it takes in consideration the RS of the melee.

The test below proves that the +% given by the set scales the RS of the melee as well.
Which means that RS sets synergises quite well with melees with high RS. However you could see it the other way around, if you start using an HP set then the RS of your melee gets penalized, which makes the Type A melee in speed a lot less effective, and because the differences in speeds between the melees are quite marginal is a lot more practical using Type C with power because it granteeds one-shots with the secondary attack.
technically if you want to get the most out of the RS given by both your melee and set, then you should be using both. If you start using the HP set the RS given by the melee is penalized.

[VIDEO 2]

So at the moment the fastest speed you can reach in the game is 

580cm/s +%16 = 672.8cm/s

Conclusion

Investigation 1

What I cared about the most during these tests is how much is the difference between wearing Type A in speed and Type C in power.

Running 120m, which is such a long distance in this game, using Type A in RS it's only 1:57s faster, I think that's a little bit ridiculous, not really worth it.

Investigation 2

This makes me think that the way speed is implemented isn't the ideal way.

RS sets playstaile should be dynamic, I often find myself to just run towards the enemy and try to oneshot them with the melee's secondary attack, which means I need to use Type C melee and which also means that if I use Type C melee I loose the RS synergy given by Type A.

In MY opinion the best MicroBolts is a dynamic MicroBolts, this is thanks to the core fast swapping mechanic, it really encourages a dynamic playstile, if RS sets are penalized by the way the +% speed is implemented then it should be buffed.

I think, ideally, the +%RS should only be applied on the base speed of the character (so +%16 should be applied on the 500cm/s → 580cm/s) , keeping the melee's RS being a sperate value applied no top (580cm/s + 100cm/s). This would make it more fair for both RS and HP loadouts.

Of course we don't want to ruin the balance of the game, what would be the impications of buffing speed?
Not many, counterpoints could be that fast characters are harder to shoot at and they can do trick jump more easily.
Players are now so good at aiming anyway (especially when you get one-shotted by Snipers Type B/D in power which is the meta rn), and reaching cool places with jumps only makes the game more fun (it would be also be cool if some invisible walls in certain maps were removed, if you have a dynamic playstle and penalize camping spots there is no arm in doing so).

TLDR

No TLDR today you'll have to read 🙂

Apparently I cannot post links to the videos, and there was also an image that is not allowing my to upload

Let me know if someone can help me posting the links somewhere.

What if I told you, Organic onion melee has 400 runspeed. They've kinda learned and not learned the lesson about melees (cbt 1.0 and 3.0 with legit ruined version of melees). 1.0 Melees gave you insane runspeed with 16%, range melees had 1k range and power melees were utterly useless. Nowadays it's pretty bullshit to see Type C oneshotting anything (it's just that bad, players prefer to melee than aim). 

On 10/22/2023 at 4:07 PM, Twister said:

What if I told you, Organic onion melee has 400 runspeed. They've kinda learned and not learned the lesson about melees (cbt 1.0 and 3.0 with legit ruined version of melees). 1.0 Melees gave you insane runspeed with 16%, range melees had 1k range and power melees were utterly useless. Nowadays it's pretty bullshit to see Type C oneshotting anything (it's just that bad, players prefer to melee than aim). 

Yeah I was thinking to look into that as well, it's just a little bit harder to find a setup to get reliable data! It doesn't feel like the melee option B is any useful atm