General Discussion

new update??

uwu

9 hours ago, Slauj said:

Hmmn, how come disappointed? I've seen nothing but greatness myself. The first closed beta was a mess sure, but the second one showed that the version we all want as players, will most likely end up super close to the end result of what we will get. In case you weren't up to date with everything from first to second beta I'll explain a little. After the first beta, A LOT of forum posts and discord messages were sent giving as much feedback and changes the players wanted to see with the game. Then on the second beta, whether or not the changes were implemented correctly, almost everything the players asked for, was changed. It was just rough around the edges, and any beta that can see such improvements from the first to the second has an insane amount of potential. When developers in a project can see through what they themselves would like to change, and accept what the players themself wants. That game will have a bright future. I get that some of the changes were weird, however, it's what the player base asked for, and some of the changes the players wanted, ended up being worse than better and made it feel worse. It made both the players and the developers understand that some changes, though we might want them, might not be for the best, however, it gives me a lot of hope seeing that even though it was a bad change, the developers did the change that was asked for by the community. But now is the question, will those changes we didn't like, be adjusted for the better, changed back to it's previous state, or left as is. I would say any but left as is, would be the right choice. Now we just have to wait and see. So far so good though. 

Respectfully, the second beta was quite rough also. I was quite disappointed when I had spent hours leaving detailed feedback and testing during the first beta, just for the second to not be much better. This game has so much potential, I'd be devastated to see this game struggle to be brought to it's well deserved peak. The technical side of the game is great, they've added the scoped sensitivity, which is something people had wanted forever, they've fixed a few bugs and improved on memory issues that have been around forever. I just hope this beta will be quite a large improvement, because for the health of this game and it's community, a fourth beta would only cause more harm than good, people are getting desperate and very impatient, which I can understand. For a game that many found very fun in it's broken state (previous MicroVolts versions), which fixing generally just requires a bunch of stat changing, along with altering and rebalancing the ways that items are acquired, shouldn't take four phases of betas to resolve it's fairly straightforward issues. I'm very excited for this (hopefully final) beta phase, but man I'd be very disappointed if it didn't turn out to be a huge step in the right direction.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Slauj said:

Hmmn, how come disappointed? I've seen nothing but greatness myself. The first closed beta was a mess sure, but the second one showed that the version we all want as players, will most likely end up super close to the end result of what we will get. In case you weren't up to date with everything from first to second beta I'll explain a little. After the first beta, A LOT of forum posts and discord messages were sent giving as much feedback and changes the players wanted to see with the game. Then on the second beta, whether or not the changes were implemented correctly, almost everything the players asked for, was changed. It was just rough around the edges, and any beta that can see such improvements from the first to the second has an insane amount of potential. When developers in a project can see through what they themselves would like to change, and accept what the players themself wants. That game will have a bright future. I get that some of the changes were weird, however, it's what the player base asked for, and some of the changes the players wanted, ended up being worse than better and made it feel worse. It made both the players and the developers understand that some changes, though we might want them, might not be for the best, however, it gives me a lot of hope seeing that even though it was a bad change, the developers did the change that was asked for by the community. But now is the question, will those changes we didn't like, be adjusted for the better, changed back to it's previous state, or left as is. I would say any but left as is, would be the right choice. Now we just have to wait and see. So far so good though. 

....what

• Like 1

For the ones outside the loop the second beta was the one that made it so snipers were the only weapons worth using because everything else did very little damage alongside making one third of the rifles completly useless because aparently turning the hornet from a relatively fast firing weapons that was accurate at medium range and did respectful damage into a very slow firing weapon that had little accuracy after the third shot (picture counter strike rifle running accuracy) was a good idea. Oh also they introduced recoil because thats a thing that microvolts should have, spam your shotgun too fast and your aim will be straight up.

On 3/19/2023 at 3:08 AM, Volt said:

Respectfully, the second beta was quite rough also. I was quite disappointed when I had spent hours leaving detailed feedback and testing during the first beta, just for the second to not be much better. This game has so much potential, I'd be devastated to see this game struggle to be brought to it's well deserved peak. The technical side of the game is great, they've added the scoped sensitivity, which is something people had wanted forever, they've fixed a few bugs and improved on memory issues that have been around forever. I just hope this beta will be quite a large improvement, because for the health of this game and it's community, a fourth beta would only cause more harm than good, people are getting desperate and very impatient, which I can understand. For a game that many found very fun in it's broken state (previous MicroVolts versions), which fixing generally just requires a bunch of stat changing, along with altering and rebalancing the ways that items are acquired, shouldn't take four phases of betas to resolve it's fairly straightforward issues. I'm very excited for this (hopefully final) beta phase, but man I'd be very disappointed if it didn't turn out to be a huge step in the right direction.

Yeah of course the second beta was quite rough, however, considering the first beta was made mainly to test server capabilities and balancing and get a better perspective from the players view, the second beta is bound to be nothing but quite rough. Actually I would go so far to say it should've been worse. There's a lot to think about when it comes to games, it's not just the balancing of weapons that's the core thing about the beta's. That can be changed anytime and as much as it needs, it takes long time to find what works and balancing in games is something that changes all the time, it's never set in stone, look at most games, as shooters like, Fortnite, Apex Legends, CSGO, Even to this day they make balancing changes, some more than others. Weapon balancing is the least of my concern. Don't judge a game from it's beta, alpha, or early access. Some other servers are the exception since they took the weapon balancing from the old microvolts and just smashed it in. Which definitely would work here too. However, since there will be a competitive scene, that honestly, wouldn't work properly. Everything has been balanced to be too powerful, lasers that can 3 shot in the head while running and jumping, 1 shot machines that can be shot 100ms before you actually land, while moving and still in the scoping animation, that also reload in less than half a second. While shotgun can randomly 1 hit, but if not used correctly can do close to nothing. This system is probably one of the most enjoyable Shooting systems in any game, however it's probably the hardest to balance out. In any game you watch, there's always one weapon or two on top. That's how it goes, there's always a meta and will always be, that's why there are balancing changes, to change the meta. People got used to the old ways and don't want to change back, however this is why we need another beta. The point I was making wasn't that the game itself was good, It was that the TEAM was good. People asked for rifles to be less powerful, They did that, but maybe not correctly, however they did listen. People asked to nerf bazookas, They nerfed the bazookas. People asked for shotguns not to one hit. Shotgun could barely one hit, Only 1 shotgun could actually one hit. I personally asked for more resolutions, and some of those were even added. My point is not that the game was in a good state or if the game itself changed a lot between the first and second beta. My point was that the TEAM was listening and acting accordingly to what the community had to say to the best of their abilities. They stated previously that some of the things asked, wasn't available in the time limit, but they would keep working on those to fix those problems. They would take longer, and some of them would even take too long, so they put those aside FOR NOW. I don't remember where I read it, but it was on the Forums. This is what eventually makes a game good. No game is good in it's beta, alpha or early access, Only a few games are the exception. But as said, people lose both faith and patience if things take too long. However I tend to know that the community of Microvolts all have some sort of addiction and hope for the game no matter how much time passes. 

Sorry for the super long response, wasn't quite sure on how to formulate my thoughts and views o/

17 minutes ago, Slauj said:

Yeah of course the second beta was quite rough, however, considering the first beta was made mainly to test server capabilities and balancing and get a better perspective from the players view, the second beta is bound to be nothing but quite rough. Actually I would go so far to say it should've been worse. There's a lot to think about when it comes to games, it's not just the balancing of weapons that's the core thing about the beta's. That can be changed anytime and as much as it needs, it takes long time to find what works and balancing in games is something that changes all the time, it's never set in stone, look at most games, as shooters like, Fortnite, Apex Legends, CSGO, Even to this day they make balancing changes, some more than others. Weapon balancing is the least of my concern. Don't judge a game from it's beta, alpha, or early access. Some other servers are the exception since they took the weapon balancing from the old microvolts and just smashed it in. Which definitely would work here too. However, since there will be a competitive scene, that honestly, wouldn't work properly. Everything has been balanced to be too powerful, lasers that can 3 shot in the head while running and jumping, 1 shot machines that can be shot 100ms before you actually land, while moving and still in the scoping animation, that also reload in less than half a second. While shotgun can randomly 1 hit, but if not used correctly can do close to nothing. This system is probably one of the most enjoyable Shooting systems in any game, however it's probably the hardest to balance out. In any game you watch, there's always one weapon or two on top. That's how it goes, there's always a meta and will always be, that's why there are balancing changes, to change the meta. People got used to the old ways and don't want to change back, however this is why we need another beta. The point I was making wasn't that the game itself was good, It was that the TEAM was good. People asked for rifles to be less powerful, They did that, but maybe not correctly, however they did listen. People asked to nerf bazookas, They nerfed the bazookas. People asked for shotguns not to one hit. Shotgun could barely one hit, Only 1 shotgun could actually one hit. I personally asked for more resolutions, and some of those were even added. My point is not that the game was in a good state or if the game itself changed a lot between the first and second beta. My point was that the TEAM was listening and acting accordingly to what the community had to say to the best of their abilities. They stated previously that some of the things asked, wasn't available in the time limit, but they would keep working on those to fix those problems. They would take longer, and some of them would even take too long, so they put those aside FOR NOW. I don't remember where I read it, but it was on the Forums. This is what eventually makes a game good. No game is good in it's beta, alpha or early access, Only a few games are the exception. But as said, people lose both faith and patience if things take too long. However I tend to know that the community of Microvolts all have some sort of addiction and hope for the game no matter how much time passes. 

Sorry for the super long response, wasn't quite sure on how to formulate my thoughts and views o/

Gunna have to heavily disagree with most of what you've said, especially what I bolded. There's a difference between patience and knowing the history of the developers. This isn't the first game they've nuked into the ground and as much as I want to be nice to them, we still need to be less "blindly optimistic" and more skeptical. Blaming the community for "being impatient" is such a poor take I see around the forums often and it's abit upsetting considering it's got no weight behind it and gives developers an excuse to not communicate and do whatever they want. Obviously I'm not their boss, I can't tell them what to do and they can do whatever they want, but they have a game to maintain so it'll heavily impact what happens if they continue with the silent mindset. 

Please don't white knight for the developers, they're people yes, but they're still running a company. They've communicated recently after quite some time, which is good, but it should continue being that way and not some one-off thing that rarely happens. It's the lack of communication that causes people to """be impatient""", because during the first beta when they were active, people were patient and the communication had a nice flow. 

"Weapon balancing is the least of my concern" is probably the worst take I've seen on the forums. This game is niche, thats an objective truth, it doesn't have the wiggle room to have constantly bad weapon balancing and the time for it (games like fortnite and csgo do). Not to mention the gameplay is pretty dated, it's fun sure, but it won't be to everyones tastes and the moment they get hit with back to back "bad balance" updates, they're going to leave and the game / company is going to bleed revenue. Weapon balancing is literally the biggest part to keeping the game relevant and if the game is unfun due to this, people will leave. Microvolts doesn't have the playerbase to keep it sustained so they need to get it right on the first few tries or it's game over, especially for newer players.

"People got used to the old ways and don't want to change back, however this is why we need another beta."

What, that's because it felt more balanced before, even amidst the chaos of god weapons in surge (or the first beta for recharged). We don't need another beta, we need more active communication between the devs, they clearly aren't the best at what they're doing (again, especially with their history), but waiting months upon months for afew changes in a beta just to wait more months instead of them just talking to the people who've played the game before is pretty painful to experience. They listened to us but again, since lack of communication, they exaggerated the changes we wanted (and didn't really fix any bugs either). I hope they do communicate more, as they did recently but already gone silent, so only time will tell...but they won't have much "time" if they mess up again. The 2nd beta was already a huge turn off for the community so a 3rd bad beta could be the nail in the coffin for microvolts.

• Thanks 1
On 3/20/2023 at 8:18 AM, Tanooki said:

Gunna have to heavily disagree with most of what you've said, especially what I bolded. There's a difference between patience and knowing the history of the developers. This isn't the first game they've nuked into the ground and as much as I want to be nice to them, we still need to be less "blindly optimistic" and more skeptical. Blaming the community for "being impatient" is such a poor take I see around the forums often and it's abit upsetting considering it's got no weight behind it and gives developers an excuse to not communicate and do whatever they want. Obviously I'm not their boss, I can't tell them what to do and they can do whatever they want, but they have a game to maintain so it'll heavily impact what happens if they continue with the silent mindset. 

Please don't white knight for the developers, they're people yes, but they're still running a company. They've communicated recently after quite some time, which is good, but it should continue being that way and not some one-off thing that rarely happens. It's the lack of communication that causes people to """be impatient""", because during the first beta when they were active, people were patient and the communication had a nice flow. 

"Weapon balancing is the least of my concern" is probably the worst take I've seen on the forums. This game is niche, thats an objective truth, it doesn't have the wiggle room to have constantly bad weapon balancing and the time for it (games like fortnite and csgo do). Not to mention the gameplay is pretty dated, it's fun sure, but it won't be to everyones tastes and the moment they get hit with back to back "bad balance" updates, they're going to leave and the game / company is going to bleed revenue. Weapon balancing is literally the biggest part to keeping the game relevant and if the game is unfun due to this, people will leave. Microvolts doesn't have the playerbase to keep it sustained so they need to get it right on the first few tries or it's game over, especially for newer players.

"People got used to the old ways and don't want to change back, however this is why we need another beta."

What, that's because it felt more balanced before, even amidst the chaos of god weapons in surge (or the first beta for recharged). We don't need another beta, we need more active communication between the devs, they clearly aren't the best at what they're doing (again, especially with their history), but waiting months upon months for afew changes in a beta just to wait more months instead of them just talking to the people who've played the game before is pretty painful to experience. They listened to us but again, since lack of communication, they exaggerated the changes we wanted (and didn't really fix any bugs either). I hope they do communicate more, as they did recently but already gone silent, so only time will tell...but they won't have much "time" if they mess up again. The 2nd beta was already a huge turn off for the community so a 3rd bad beta could be the nail in the coffin for microvolts.

Genuinely, I had the most broken weapons in surge, the fastest set in the game, all the gods and golden gods, and man it somehow FELT better than these betas. I honestly think they should've just kept surge's weapon stats for all 3 variants for each weapon, and then applied them to all weapons equally, so they functioned more as cosmetics than a P2W feature. It felt so good I often didn't even use the "OP" weapons, I'd consistently just use ADV weapons because they looked clean and they were still good enough. Meanwhile in this past beta there were weapons that were so bad, picking them was just a throw. It's good to be hopeful, but not blindly having so much faith in them to the point where it hurts. Some skepticism is good, especially when they're rather quiet about what's going on behind the scenes.

• Thanks 2
3 hours ago, Volt said:

Genuinely, I had the most broken weapons in surge, the fastest set in the game, all the gods and golden gods, and man it somehow FELT better than these betas. I honestly think they should've just kept surge's weapon stats for all 3 variants for each weapon, and then applied them to all weapons equally, so they functioned more as cosmetics than a P2W feature. It felt so good I often didn't even use the "OP" weapons, I'd consistently just use ADV weapons because they looked clean and they were still good enough. Meanwhile in this past beta there were weapons that were so bad, picking them was just a throw. It's good to be hopeful, but not blindly having so much faith in them to the point where it hurts. Some skepticism is good, especially when they're rather quiet about what's going on behind the scenes.

I feel like what made surge better was the "if everyone is OP then nobody is" thing they had going on. The meta was busted but you could AT LEAST get quick kills, which is what the game was meant for. Microvolts is a TDM styled game, if people take too long to kill with normal weapons, and too easily killed with one-shot weapons, then the balance shifts horribly and the game becomes extremely unfun. Alot of the weapons in surge, albeit unbalanced, felt powerful enough to still nab you some kills regardless if you had worse weapons. I remember being one of the worst players with god weapons because there was still a large learning curve and skill gap between OP weapons and player skills. I feel like swapping outweighed god weapons and I was glad for that....I kind of miss it.  I remember all the pro players using MP sets beating people with god weapons because, I hate to say it, even with the OP stuff going on it was still a fairly decent meta. I feel the main issue that nuked surge was the sets and set bonuses moreso than the weapon meta, which iirc they did nerf god weapons afew times so it was ALMOST close to being great, until we got new devs that gave us the ronin set and naomi maid set etc. Tank HP sets needed to be nerfed abit and never got that desired nerf, and speed sets probably should have been nerfed as well, meanwhile these betas were just a gigantic mess and already leaves a bad impression for the state of the game.

tl;dr I just wish the developers would be more active and listen to us, or revert the game to surge, it was better then.

• Like 2